My memo is uploaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kh8XdWQaNi8N80ZJGU10dgjvPUfCrC7l/view?usp=sharing
Mapping ver 1
I started this assignment from just listing some components related to IDM. After listing, I categorized them into some categories. Based on my mapping, IDM is composed of following components: People, Space, Function, Guidance, Others.
Anybody who possibly uses IDM space like IDM students, other program's students, profs, faculties, visitors, etc
Spaces we currently have in IDM like labs, lounges, kitchen, toilet, classrooms, etc
What for people use this space; study, communication, events, class, research, relax, etc
Not exactly sure if I have this component as an independent one, but guidance is about how to access IDM's space easily, like floor map and reception
Some other things we have in IDM space, like vending machines, tables, chairs, white boards, monitors, cups, spoons, etc
Walk through IDM
Next I walk through IDM space to observe by taking some photos. I started from the entrance of the building, then took elevator/stairs to the 3rd floor, and walked through IDM. Here are some things I noticed (for some, I assumed myself as not an IDM student but a stranger to the building):
- Not sure which floor is for what. What is on 2nd, 4th, 5th,,, floor? No sign.
- On 3rd floor, no clear sign if this floor is actually IDM's or not.
- No IDM floor map. How I can go to the room I want to go?
- No nice waiting space for visitors at the reception. If I am from a company for funding or examinee for some research, I won't feel great about this situation.
- Where is a restroom?
The points above are mainly from outsider's viewpoint. Here are some other points from insider's (student's) viewpoint.
- How to use Kitchen? No rule? Sometimes dirty. Cups are left in the sink.
- Curious what each lab is doing. Feels very closed/secret.
- What equipments are available for students?
- Isn't it easier way to know profs’ office hour?
- No electricity saving. Some lights seem always on even in the night when there is nobody in the floor.
Stakeholder's map ver 1
It must be good to observe other floors too. I will look through when time allows, maybe sometime next week.
One thing to keep in mind
Never forger: Who uses this space for what, how, and when? What problems/needs do people have?